Today we bring you a gluten free couscous recipe in which the main ingredient is a bit difficult to find gluten-free, and that we had not tried until now. We are talking about Cous Cous or couscous, a traditional Berber dish made from wheat semolina, so to be suitable for a gluten-free diet, it must be precooked corn flour.
Is couscous gluten free?
By following the recipe, you can make gluten free couscous. There are numerous ways to prepare it. We liked the idea of preparing it with vegetables, raisins, and chicken, with a sweet touch, and eating it warm. To make this gluten-free recipe, you will need:
- The vegetables you like the most or have at home are cut into brunoise (into small cubes of the same size). We use green pepper, red pepper, garlic, onion, and zucchini. You can also use pumpkin, yellow pepper, leek, eggplant, etc.
- Chicken or vegetable broth (we use chicken broth).
- Chicken, also diced.
- Raisins (previously hydrated).
- Coriander or parsley.
- Olive oil.
- Salt and pepper.
- Spices: curry, cinnamon, cumin, and ginger.
…And get to work!
We start by making a sauce. We fry the vegetables we have chosen with a little oil (about 3 tablespoons) in a large frying pan or saucepan. We add a little salt, pepper, a teaspoon of honey, and the rest of the spices to taste, and we stir everything so that the flavors are integrated. We do not want them to poach a lot. It is interesting to leave it al dente a bit.
In a separate pan, brown the chicken with a little salt and pepper, and once it is to your liking, add it to the sauce. After a few minutes, we add the raisins to the sauce, which we have previously soaked to soften, and cook for a few more minutes. Then, we remove it from the fire.
Once we have the sauce, we begin with the preparation of the couscous. To do this, we have to add the same amount of liquid as couscous. For about 4 people, 250 ml of broth and 250 grams of couscous are recommended. Heat the broth in a saucepan until it starts to boil.
Meanwhile, we weigh 250 grams of couscous. And when the broth begins to boil, remove it from the heat and add the couscous, and leave it to hydrate for 3 minutes covered. After 3 minutes, we add a tablespoon of butter or margarine, and with a fork, we will separate the couscous so that it does not cake and remain loose.
And all that remains is to add the couscous to the stir-fry of vegetables and raisins and mix well. We chop a little fresh coriander, previously washed, and the chopped almonds to finish our gluten-free recipe and sprinkle it on top. For plating, an idea can be, for example, with the help of a glass or mold.
Gluten-free couscous with vegetables and chicken curry
Ingredients (for two people):
- 4 boneless chicken thighs.
- Half a large zucchini.
- A carrot.
- Half a medium red pepper.
- 150 g. gluten-free couscous Schär.
- 300 ml. of water.
- A large onion.
- 150 ml. of white wine.
- 250 ml. of evaporated milk.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- Gluten-free curry. Both the Jauja and DANI brands are gluten-free.
- Cut the chicken into cubes, fry it in the pan until it is very well browned, season and reserve.
- Cut the carrot and pepper into cubes and fry until they begin to soften.
- Add the zucchini cut into cubes and continue to fry until the zucchini is done.
- Put the 300 ml in the pan. of water and let it boil for a few minutes.
- When the water has reduced to half, add a pinch of salt, add the couscous, and spread well throughout the pan.
- Lower the heat to a minimum and let it rest for 2 minutes.
- Add a splash of olive oil and stir from time to time for the next 3 minutes.
- Remove the couscous from the heat and reserve.
- Chop the onion as small as possible and fry with the help of a pinch of salt until it has been completely poached.
- Add between 2 and 4 teaspoons of curry, depending on how strong we want it, and mix well.
- Add the white wine and boil for 5 minutes to allow the alcohol to evaporate.
- Add the evaporated milk, mix well, and reduce a little.
- Pour all the sauce into the blender jar and blend completely. This is the time to try it, to see how the curry goes. If necessary, rectify.
- Return the sauce to the pan, add the chicken and mix well.
- Serve and enjoy!